A NOTE FROM MATTHEW:
I never dreamed Helen’s writings would inspire so many. I also never thought the popularity would last this long. We all assumed you would go away. :-)
Now that I know you are going to stay, I want to make sure more people find out about Grandma Helen and her dear friend, Margaret.
Why Support MargaretandHelen.com?
First of all, you don’t have to. Margaret and Helen will always be free for everyone to enjoy.
Second, the money does not go to Margaret or Helen. It goes to me. I don’t want to mislead anyone. BUT here is what I will do with it::
1. We have secured www.margaretandhelen.com. Nothing has changed with how you get here (formerly MargaretandHelen.wordpress.com). However, during the last election someone took the Dot.Com name and used it to display political ads. Now you can come to Helen’s blog regardless of which address you type in.
2. I am working on expanding her site so that you can see more of her writing and learn more about her life. We have enjoyed being hosted by WordPress but the blog has now grown large enough that we need to move the site to be self-hosted. Nothing will change on your end.
3. I will spend more time working on how her posts are formatted so you will have access to links of the books she reads, the articles she reads… all the research she did before posting. Don’t worry, it will still be Helen writing to Margaret. Same humor. Same salty language. But now when you say, “How did she know that?” you can click on the link and see how she found out about it. Helen is fond of saying “Use your head for something other than a hat rack!” She also thinks people should read more.
4. We are working on the cookbook. It will be filled with some of her favorite posts, some of your favorite comments and – of course – her wonderful recipes passed down to her from her mother. Margaret has agreed to contribute as well. They are both going through recipes to decide which ones to use. I am going through all of her writings to see which ones can be “sprinkled” throughout the book. Much of the funds raised here will go to pay to have the book produced and printed.
6. I find that the more popular she gets, the more time I need to devote to “monitoring” the comments. You wouldn’t believe the lengths some people and groups go to take down this site and ruin the community conversation. I now consider myself a part-time employee for MargaretandHelen!